make-kpkg isn't making bzImage

Hi

I'm trying to get 2.4.20 working so that I can install the ACPI patch for
my laptop. I've tried both the Debian Way and the easy way. There's no
bzImage being made, but there aren't any errors when the kernel compiles
(at the end).

My extremely detailed step-by-step is here:
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/code/acpi.txt

Please let me know what extra information would be useful.

I'm trying to get the ACPI 20021212 patch working....

At first I could boot into the new kernel but now everything is in a crazy
state. Fortunately I have backups and had to copy and paste the working
bzImage and modules back into the appropriate places so I could boot into
this kernel.

Step-by-step:
Download the kernel and appropriate patch
	cd /usr/src
	mkdir kernel-source-2.4.20-fresh
	cp linux.2.4.20.tar.bz2 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20-fresh
	cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20-fresh
	tar xjfv linux.2.4.20.tar.bz2
	mv linux.2.4.20.tar.bz2 ../archive
	mv linux.2.4.20 ../linux-2.4.20-fresh
	rm linux (the link to your old kernel)
	ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-fresh linux
Patch the old kernel
	cd /usr/src/linux
	cp acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff.gz    .
	gunzip  acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff.gz
	patch -p1 < acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff
Look for messages like:
	Hunk #1 succeeded at 1609 (offset -4 lines).
Configure the new kernel
	cd /usr/src/linux
	cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/.config .config
	make oldconfig (say M to all new options for ACPI)
Compile the new kernel
If you have additional modules that are not part of the main source tree,
you will need to add modules_image when you make your Debian packages.
This is almost inevitable if you're using a laptop. I have three modules
that get installed seperately: my graphics card (nvidia); sound (ALSA);
and my wireless card (pcmcia).
	cd /usr/src/linux
	make-kpkg clean
	make-kpkg --append-to-version=.<date> kernel_image modules_image
This program replaces the following:
	make dep
	make clean
	make bzImage
	make modules
Install the new kernel
	cd /usr/src
	updatedb otherwise the next line won't find
/boot/vmlinuz.<append-to-version>
	dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.20.030420_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
This program replaces the following:
	make modules_install
	vi /etc/lilo.conf
	lilo -q