Re: /usr/share/doc...

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:06:07 -0500 Michael Kahle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I want to view the documentation, I
> would always change to root, then uncompress the file, read it, and
> then re-compress it.  Am I making this too difficult?

Cool. I used to reboot, then login as root just to do that... ;)

Seriously, now.

zless will let you read *.txt.gz, gv will accept *.ps.gz.

Even better, if you use the mc file manager, it's View command (usually
F3) will generally do whatever's necessary to show you the contents of
any file. I use mc, but I suppose most file managers will do that.

Besides not needing root, all of these options are safer than your
actual method, because they won't actually *change* the file you are
viweing in any way.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/