Re: iomega zip under debian 3.0r1

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 03:21:53PM -0400, Bob Underwood wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2003 12:36 am, Jerry wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:35:51AM +0100, Ricardo wrote:
> > > i've installed an ide Iomega zip100 on my machine but i haven't
> > > been able to use it under Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1. Can someone help
> > > me with this problem?

> > Well, I'm no expert, see my sig, but I'll take a stab at this.
> > Someone will surely correct my errors.
Jerry, see correction below (but I am no expert either).
> > 1. Create a mount point for your Zip drive, eg: /mnt/zip  or  /zip
> >    eg: as root type: mkdir /mnt/zip  or mkdir /zip
> >
> > 2. Edit your /etc/fstab file, put this line in it:
> >    /dev/hdd	/mnt/zip	vfat	user,noauto	0	0
> >         ^^^      ^^^^^^^
> > 	^change these^ to match your setup

In the /etc/fstab file:
      /dev/hd[x]4    /mnt/zip   vfat   user,noauto    0  0

Iomega Zip disks are formatted by Iomega tools on MSWindoze and on Linux
(and by the factories that manufacture the disks) with the working
partition as partition table entry number 4. Nobody knows why they do
this. In order to use a MS-DOS/vfat partition on a Zip disk, however,
you have to take this into account. If you want to reformat
(fdisk+mke2fs) a Zip disk in a Linux native filesystem, you can use
/hd[whatever]1, as any normal approach would indicate you'd do.

Just a little more info, for the archives... HTH.

--
Find my GnuPG public key on better keyservers everywhere ;-)
GnuPG public key fingerprint:  BD26 A5D8 D781 C96B 9936  310F 0573 A3D9 4E24 4EA6