Re: strange things: a) sticky vfat

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:25:22AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:51:37AM +0200, schnobs@babylon-kino.de (schnobs@babylon-kino.de) wrote:
> > Still, I wonder why vfat was so persistent. Does anyone know?
>
> Did you change the partition type from its DOS value (usually 1 - F and
> then some) to GNU/Linux native (83)?  That's about the only thing I can
> think of offhand.  Unless you'd failed to specify a filesystem type in
> /etc/fstab (poor idea).

Apart from the above, what could ruin autofilesystem detection (at
least it seems, as i think this is what happend to me just two days
ago) is that the first sector still contains some DOS relicts.  I had
to clear it (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1) on a flop,
otherwise the ext2 fs on it wouldn't be recognized either.

--
groetjes, carel