.bfk files, unable to restore

I switched from 2K to XP and did not know XP required signature approval on
some software so coincidently I had conflict.
In order to revert back to 2K I used my Zip 100 discs and the backup
procedure from windows XP.
I accumulated 8 discs full of all my data.
I then reinstalled (clean) the WIN2K.
When I went to restore the Zip discs I could not unpack them and could not
retrieve my data. 2 years worth.
MSN can't help saying it is a software problem and Zip can't help saying it
is an operating problem.
I am thinking it has to do with the file system format FAT (XP's) vs NTSF
(2k's).
HELP!
Thanks Ted Colt