Re: Openoffice installation problem

From: Carlos <cjimenezz@entelchile.net>

Initializing installation program..........
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
cannot connect to X server

Installation Completed

When you su to root, by default your current user's environment and shell doesn't go with you by default.

The way I get around this, is that anytime I need to do something as root which requires GUI tools, I use sudo. It is pretty easy to configure and very handy. The other option is su to root with the -p option (as in 'su -p -') to preserve your current environment and shell, allowing you to connect to the xserver.

Also, if you are going to bother installing OOo (rather than apt-get'ing) install 1.1Beta. I have found that it is well worth it. The two best new features, IMHO are the ability to export any document directly as .PDF (no more print to .ps file then do ps2pdf) and the ability to export your impress presentation as a macromedia flash file.

Just my $.02.

-Roberto