Re: [LONG] RH refugee comments & questions

Hans Ekbrand, Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:08:08AM +0200:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:00:49PM +0200, Patrice Fortier wrote:
> > An other feature that I miss is the [ OK ] [FAILED] at boot for the
> > rc?.d/ stuff. You can think it's just a fancy thing, and in fact you're
> > right as long as there is only green OK displayed on the screen.
> > The red FAILED displayed is very interesting, especially when you
> > expected that everything should be fine.
>
> Agreed. For me who have never used anything but Debian, that sounds like
> something I would like Debian to do :-)

It looks pretty starting up, but makes customizing init scripts more
difficult because certain parts of the scripts are obscured in functions.
The Debian init scripts are great because they are relatively simple and
transparent.  See /etc/init.d/skeleton for an example.  Errors at startup
are easy to recognize in practice.

Note as well that the init scripts all test for the presence of the
daemon at the top of the script.  If you want to disable a service, the
easiest way is to uninstall the package - all your conf settings will be
preserved.  When you want to enable it, install it again.  It's not
something you would do on an RH-based system but it works fine with
Debian.