Re: Very slow 3d games

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:04:37 -0700 (PDT),
ralph bacolod wrote:

> I understand that d savage chip is not really what u
> call a high end chip suited for gaming. But i once
> installed tuxracer in a pentium 1 win98 with far more
> minimal specs. How come the game was far more playable
> there?

You can't do 3D gaming in GNU/Linux with the Savage chip on any
off-the-shelf system.  While it may ve advertised as Savage 3D,
AFAICT there's no hardware-accelerated 3d support for such a chip
with any version of XFree86.  Any 3D is done through slow
software emulation.

If you're serious about gaming on GNU/Linux get an (external)
video card.  I'd recommend one by ATI, the cheapest one probably
being the rage128.  I myself use a Radeon VE (the next cheapest
one?).  These come with working GPL-compatible 3d support.
nVidia cards are also well-supported, but by the company's
non-free binary-only drivers.  A Debian developer has developed
packages to download such drivers from the nVidia site.