Re: Running SpamAssassin on an old Pentium

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 16:41, Sam Varghese wrote:

> I'm writing to find out how much overhead will be created by running
> SpamAssassin on a P-133 which is already handling quite a few tasks.

Assuming you run SpamAssassin in daemon mode (via spamc/spamd), I
don't think you'll have any problems.  The main problem lies in
the overhead when SpamAssassin is invoked in standalone mode.  I
seen tremendous improvements in speed after I started running
spamd and did spam checking via procmail/spamc.

The only thing I can say is to try it and see what happens.  If
it performs to your satisfaction, great.  If not, you'll have
to look into something else.

FWIW, SpamAssassin here runs on a FreeBSD 4.8 box which runs
SMTP (qmail), POP3 (qmail's pop3d), IMAP (courier-imap) and
LDAP (OpenLDAP) daemons.  The machine is only a P200 with 32 MB
of RAM, and the delays introduced by mail scanning with SpamAssassin
aren't even noticeable.

YMMV.

HTH,
j.