X input

Hi,
I am studying linguistics and thast means that I have to input a lot of very strange characters. I can find all these in unicode and when neede I can insert them via KCharSelect. But I would like to INPUT them. Is there some way I can define keyboard to input unicode characters frequently used. Some time ago I was playing little bit with some tools and learned how to edit keymap, but that didn't seem to be available for unicode.
Any help would be very appreciated
Thanks in advance
Petr