Re: Counterstrike on Linux

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:13:33 +0300
Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2003 20:01, Scott Henson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 12:11, Todd Pytel wrote:

> > > Works flawlessly for me on Sarge. The only glitch was that the
> > > installer's script uses a bash-only construct when it asks for the
> > > CD-key, which confuses dash/ash. If you're getting segfaults, it's
> > > probably a video card issue - I remember reading that only nVidia
> > > cards provide the necessary support for it at the moment.
> >
> > And radeons do as well.  It may only be later ones(9000 or above),
> > but I seem to remember someone saying all radeons do though that is
> > probably just my mind playing tricks on me again.
>
> Well, as many probably know, Gentoo offers a special version of their
> distro, the Unreal Tournoment edition, and their website says"nvidia
> only".
>
> I really don't know why though, recent ATIs I guess outperform nvidia
> cards. Maybe it's just that nvidia nonfree drivers are better than the
> free ATI ones, built into XFree86.
>
> Which again, makes me think that maybe it's better for Keith Packard
> to fork XFree86 ;-)

Well it's a GF4 actually so it "should" work. Thing is I've had some
problems with quake3 too, turned out to be a linking problem
somewhere(?), something about pthreads, have no idea what it is
actually. exporting some variable got it working (it was described in
the README) but that didn't do the trick. Probably should update my
kernel and install the new nv drivers...

grtz,
Wim