cdrom - driver not present, but it's ok for now

ok, you might get this mail twice, because I am stupid.
anyhow, I said....

Uuugghhh -- Things are still not working, but I am going to have to install Debian all over as I have done trashed this install.  No worries tho, this will only be my 3rd install.  I expect to do a couple more before I manage to get it all right and learn what's what.

However, I have been doing to Google based research on my problem.

I found an artical at
www.symonds.net/~deep/stuff/linux/tuxchase.php
in which the author installed Debian and found that he had to recompile his kernal to get ide-scsi to work.

Since I am using the bf2.4 flavour (as I need the ReiserFS support) when I am setting up my kernal do I need to find and add SCSI emulation and SCSI device support as the author did in his case?  Could that be my problem?

I ask because when I tried
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/scd0 /cdrom
that still didn't work.

I'm gonna go at this again on Sunday.
Thanks for the help so far, everyone have a good weekend.

Skippi