Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

Roberto,
I never said Linux wasn't a good system... i said it wasn't ready for the
average user to install.
And if it is possible to install a driver for a sound card i apologize...
but when i asked on here the only answer i received was to build my own
kernel.  Which at this time it says the kernel i built is too large. :-(

---dale

Dale,

I apologize if my tone came across as harsh. I know what you mean about the lack of help sometimes. I am very fortunate that I have three good friends that are Linux gurus at school (one works in the CS dept and the other two in the CpE dept) and each admins a lab that runs on Debian. If I have a problem they can't solve over a quick conversation in class I can tote my laptop into their respective offices and they can help me work it out. In that sense, I have been very pampered in the support available to me.

As far as the errors you get trying to get sound into your kernel, try posting them again and I'll see if I can't help out. I've already hosed my kernel about a dozen times in the past week trying to compile different options in and out and all that fun stuff. So, while I've not seen it all, I can probably help out some. Becuase i have had such I great experience with other Debian users helping me out, I want to do the same to the maximum extent possible.

I guess what really got me going about your original post was the hardware issue. I can't remember how many times I have seen people post or voice complaints about winmodems, winprinters, and other supported-only-under-windows hardware. Yet, if you ask most people, an extremely small number can actually say that they have contacted the company to voice their complaint.

In my case, I happen to like Dell's computers. I think they are reliable, they look cool and they have a good range of hardware to choose from. However, the only machines they offer Linux (and it happens to be RH) on are $6000+ workstations and PowerEdge servers. So, every couple of months I send an email and call customer service to ask them when I will be able to purchase a computer for $1000-$2000 with Linux preloaded. The fact that it will end up being RH, if it ever happens, is irrelevant becuase the point is to have a choice that is non-MS. I usually get brushed off, but I always make it clear that they will receive no business from me until I can buy a home desktop machine with Linux preloaded.

If every Linux user called up Dell next and said the same thing, they would get the picture. Then, you would have an extremely good chance of being able to purchase a machine in which you new all the hardware worked with Linux out of the box (because it is preloaded), with the possible exception of DVD (but that is another story). But, as I mentioned earlier, most people don't complain to the vendors or the hardware manufacturers. Until they start in earnest, things will continue to change ot only a slow crawl.

As a note, this philosophy applies to specific hardware components (i.e., video cards, modes, printers). I think the fact that nVidia has Linux drivers (even though they are binary only) is great. In a perfect world those drivers would be GPLd, but the world is not perfect. Other companies don't even go to that extent. A good example is Lucent/Agere. They provide a core code toolkit (and no support) to a team of volunteers that develops the lt_modem and lt_serial drivers. I have also complained to Lucent/Agere that they need to release the code as GPL. The list goes on, but you get the idea.

If everyone resolved themselves to each month contact their favorite video card, modem, printer, and complete system vendor then, as I pointed out, they would ge the idea.

Sorry for the long rant, but I think it is important that people be aware of this.

-Roberto