Re: Exim + Courier-IMAP setup

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 22:47, ScruLoose wrote:
> Hey folks
>
> I'm wanting to set up a little mailserver for personal use plus a few
> friends.  IMAP seems like the protocol I want, maybe plus webmail later.
>
> So my MTA is exim, and I've installed Courier-IMAP  (including the SSL
> bits)
>
> Now I'm curious about the best way to set up the maildirs for users'
> incoming mail:
>
> I *think* I want to use /var/spool/<username>/  for the inbox maildir...
> (or /var/spool/<username>/inbox/  maybe?)
> Seems like if I have the /var partition, this is the sort of thing it's
> for, right?  Also, I may try to set up quotas so that a user's mailspool
> is counted separately from their home directory...
>
> So I understand that I need to edit /etc/exim/exim.conf and change a
> couple things in the local_delivery transport...
>
> replace   file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
> with      directory = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
> (do I need to append /Maildir or /inbox or something on that?
> particularly if I want to allow my users to chop up their maildir into
> subfolders for filtering...?)
> And then I add maildir_format = true
>
> Does this look correct (or at least plausible)?
>
> And then how do I tell courier-IMAP where to find the maildir?
> It's mentioned briefly in the manpage, but I couldn't tell where I'm
> supposed to change it.  ie what file is it defined in?

I spent hours looking for this one (to change ~/Maildir to ~/.Maildir so
users can edit their Maildir if they want to, but those that don't know
about it (probably) won't delete it.

In /etc/init.d/courier-imap(pop3|imap-ssl|pop3-ssl) edit the start
section as marked:

start)
  if [ "$START" = "yes" ]; then
    echo -n "Starting $PROGRAM:"
    AUTHMODULELIST=""
    for f in $AUTHMODULES
    do
      if [ -e $libexecdir/authlib/$f ]; then
          AUTHMODULELIST="$AUTHMODULELIST $libexecdir/authlib/$f"
          fi
    done
    AUTHMODULELIST="`echo $AUTHMODULELIST`"

    ulimit -d $IMAP_ULIMITD
    /usr/bin/env - /bin/sh -c " . /etc/courier/imapd ; \
                IMAP_STARTTLS=$IMAPDSTARTTLS ; export IMAP_STARTTLS ; \
                `sed -n '/^#/d;/=/p' </etc/courier/imapd | \
                        sed 's/=.*//;s/^/export /;s/$/;/'`
                $TCPD -address=$ADDRESS \
                        -stderrlogger=${prefix}/sbin/courierlogger \
                        -maxprocs=$MAXDAEMONS -maxperip=$MAXPERIP \
                        -pid=$PIDFILE $TCPDOPTS \
                        $PORT ${prefix}/lib/courier/courier/imaplogin
$AUTHMODULELIST \
                            /usr/bin/imapd .Maildir" << Add the path
here.
    echo " $DAEMON."
  fi
        ;;

As for exim I can't help you though... I'm a postfix man myself :P

Jon