Exim + Courier-IMAP setup

Hey folks

I'm wanting to set up a little mailserver for personal use plus a few
friends.  IMAP seems like the protocol I want, maybe plus webmail later.

So my MTA is exim, and I've installed Courier-IMAP  (including the SSL
bits)

Now I'm curious about the best way to set up the maildirs for users'
incoming mail:

I *think* I want to use /var/spool/<username>/  for the inbox maildir...
(or /var/spool/<username>/inbox/  maybe?)
Seems like if I have the /var partition, this is the sort of thing it's
for, right?  Also, I may try to set up quotas so that a user's mailspool
is counted separately from their home directory...

So I understand that I need to edit /etc/exim/exim.conf and change a
couple things in the local_delivery transport...

replace   file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
with      directory = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
(do I need to append /Maildir or /inbox or something on that?
particularly if I want to allow my users to chop up their maildir into
subfolders for filtering...?)
And then I add maildir_format = true

Does this look correct (or at least plausible)?

And then how do I tell courier-IMAP where to find the maildir?
It's mentioned briefly in the manpage, but I couldn't tell where I'm
supposed to change it.  ie what file is it defined in?

Also, if anyone can point me to a HOWTO on combining Exim and
Courier-IMAP I'd be grateful... I googled it and didn't seem to find
anything that really addressed this situation (surprisingly).

	Thanks for any advice