Re: xfstt superfluous?

Rob Weir said on Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 08:30:20PM +1000:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 06:39:30PM -0800, David Wright wrote:
> > In an attempt to fix ugly fonts in gtk1.2 apps, I just added
> > /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType to the xfs configuration file
> > /etc/X11/fs/config, and it worked! Does this mean that xfs can serve
> > both PS and TT, making xfstt completely unnecessary?
>
> Well, yeah.  Even more useful, though, is that X itself can use TT
> fonts, so a font server is completely unneccessary unless you're
> sharing to multple systems :)

Is this actually true?  There was a while where it was said to be a good idea
to run a local font server because the font rendering step could block the X
server, and prevent it from accepting any input.  If the font server blocked,
the only bad thing that would happen was that new font requests wouldn't show
up, but you could still type/move windows/etc.