Re: Digital Speakers

Bijan, Rich, and all else who read this:

Thanks for the help, but I'm not sure we're getting anywhere.  I was thinking
along the lines of what Bijan said was true, but after thinking about it, I
remembered that the headphones which definantly wouldn't have the "digital"
capability still do work with Windows.  So, the DAC can't be in the speakers,
otherwise the headphones wouldn't work with Windows.  But that still doesn't
answer our question.  I have done a little research, though, and found that
WindowsXP does use a similar setup - they move the DAC off of the mobo and
then somewhere else.  Apparently, that poster didn't know what he was talking
about, or at least not enough.

But we're still at a loss.  We know now that the signal has to be analogue
when it comes out of the Windows box, because the headphones work.  That
means taht when the speakers do work, they're getting analog signal.  The
headphones work with Debian, and all other version of Linux, so we know that
Linux is outputting analog.  However, no version of Linux, not even Mandrake
with all of it's prefabrication, can get the speakers to work.  Go figure.
I'm going to check out my speakers specs when I get the chance.  Just letting
you know I'm still alive.  Thanks Again.

Kris