Digital Speakers

Hey all.

I'm running Woody, on the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.  I have a ES1371 soundcard
(that's soundblaster_something_or_other).  Here's the problem.  Speakers work
on this box when I have it switched to Windoze.  Headphones work on Windows.
Speakers don't work on Linux, but the headphones do.  My thinking - it's the
speakers.  They're the really nice sort - the ones with the sub-woofer built
into the system, so I'm thinking that the speakers are digital only, and
don't want to deal with an analog signal.  Anyway to get Linux to output
audio in digital format, not analog?  Thanx.

Kris Kerwin