Re: XFree86 has pituitary problem?

Carl Fink wrote:
> On my Woody system, Xfree86 is now taking 343 MB (according to top).  Isn't
> that a bit much?
>
> Unsurprisingly, I'm getting a lot of swapping, since that only leaves 160 or
> so MB for everything else.

Take a look at the second to last last question in the FAQ at
/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz. Interesting stuff like this:

  It is not at all uncommon for a modern 64Mb video card, to have X's memory
  usage appear to be 100Mb or more, when in reality, 64Mb of that is video RAM,
  and 16-32Mb possibly mmapped registers.

--
see shy jo