Re: Applying own set of changes to source -- howto create a deb-file

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 10:56:54AM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> administering several Debian boxes, I make use of some patches created
> for particular codes my users got used to it.
>
> Since I am fascinated of the Debian package system an dwould like to
> make use of the system for easy package distribution, I would like to
> integrate these patches into the source and create the debs.
>
> Searching the web has not led me to the explanation I have been
> looking for.
>
> My approach:
>
>   apt-get source <package>
>   cd <package>-<version>
>   su -c "dpkg-buildpackage"
>
> Is this the correct way to go?

If it works, go for it :)

> Further, I run my own local mirror of unstable.  Is there any way to
> have a freshly created package being inserted into this mirror without
> the package being overwritten everytime a debmirror is run during the
> night?

Add something to the above commands to bump the version a little?  Or
maybe tell debmirror to exclude these packages?  Or put them in your own
apt respository that debmirror doesn't touch?  apt-ftparchive will
generate the neccessary files for this to work.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?