What's up with "samba-client"?

I'm new to Debian, so please forgive me if this is an obvious thing. I'm still learning all about Debian's package management. I am trying to get the command `smbclient' loaded on my machine. `dpkg' shows this:

excelsior:/# dpkg -l samba*
ii samba 2.2.3a-12 A LanManager like file and printer server fo
un  samba-client   <none>         (no description available)
ii samba-common 2.2.3a-12 Samba common files used by both the server a
ii  samba-doc      2.2.3a-12      Samba documentation.
pn  samba-doc-ja   <none>         (no description available)

`dselect' tells me that "samba" should include "smbclient," but doing a `dpkg -l samba' clearly shows that I don't have it. Further, it offers no such thing as "samba-client" to install.

Uh... what?

First: If dselect tells me that the "samba" package includes "smbclient," but doesn't, what's that supposed to mean?

Second: When `dpkg -l' tells me there's a package that `dselect' doesn't appear to know about, what's *that* mean?

I've heard for years about how great Debian's package management is, and yet, when I'm just starting out, I have this odd situation with what I thought would have been a very common package setup. Googling about it yields nothing, which leads me to believe it's PEBCAK. I guess I could comb through all 8 CD's and see if there's a "samba-client<foo>" package somewhere, but I thought that's what `dselect' was all about.

Very confused,
dk