Re: a question on email headers

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 03:17 am, Alvin Oga wrote:
> given the info, i'd guess
> a. you sent from your davialbe acct
> b. you received on your foo.bar.edu acct

No.  received by me@my.computer.net.

The second one was placed there by the sending system.  I
realize that that one and any before it can be faked.

The first one was generated by mine.  I know that the name
(foo.bar.edu) comes from the "HELO" command by the MTA, and it
could say anything there.

I suppose, as Anders said, that the IP number is almost
guaranteed to be valid.  It is the address of the system that
logged into port 25.  Thinking about it a little more...  A
particular system would be on some subnet.  If it claims to be
something completely different, it would be a different subnet,
and would be blocked.

So, it seems to me that it IS possible to claim to be a
different machine on the same subnet.

> am thinking, there should be another received line entry
> between these 2 headers  unless you used your "laptop" to
> send email to your bar.edu acct from inside their lan

No.  That's all.  Only 2.  The sending computer has its own MTA
and does not rely on a smart host.  Both are directly on the
net.

If there is a middle one, that could be faked.