Re: Network problem

Hi John

> Anyway, after an hour or two of being online I get cut off (it seems to
> be fairly random) - after rebooting all is ok again.  So I guess it's a
> Software problem.
Are you sure you have to reboot? Try (as root) instead
root@box:~# ifdown eth0
root@box:~# ifup eth0

> I have a lan connection, the network guy said that the network was ok.
OK, let's trust him (for now ;) ).

> I never had any problems when I had the usual KDE2, 2.2 kernel debian
> installation.  I generally only run mozilla over the net, sometimes
> Konquerer, SSH and RealPlayer.
Hä? Did you change anything in your installation, or did you only swich away
from KDE2, or did you upgrade your kernel. Tell us exactly what you did
before the problem started occuring.

> I use a tulip module for my netgear card.
These usually work good.

> This is really killing me - cos I don't where to begin looking for the
> solution.
Your friend in such cases is the system log (/var/log/syslog).
When you see this problem for the next time, do
root@box:~# tail -n 30 /var/log/syslog
immediately afterwards, and post the output here. This is where to start
looking.

> Help, would be appreciated.
I hope ifdown/ifup is a bit help for the beginning, it might prevent those
windows-ish reboots...

joerg
--
Gib GATES keine Chance!