RE: new kernel, now no network

Forgot to mention that - I already have it in there.

I booted into the old kernel and lsmod does not show the driver, so it was
compiled into the old kernel evidently.  The config file for the new kernel
shows net_vendor_3com=y

How can I tell if the 3c59x module is actually compiled into the new kernel?

I did discover a line in /var/log/syslog.0 that says "modprobe: can't locate
module eth1"
In modules.conf I have
alias eth1 3c59x

I put append="ether=0,0,eth1" in lilo.conf and ran lilo, rebooted.  No
change.