Re: exim with login authentication using pam

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:21:59PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
| Hi,
| I am trying to get exim authenticate users before relaying and would
| like to use PAM.

Do you use shadow passwords?
Are you trying to use pam_unix.so (specified in /etc/pam.d/exim)?

| Can anyone who has done this before shed some light on this.

Only root can read the password hash stored in /etc/shadow.  exim
can't.  (exim performs the check as EXIM_USER, often named "mail")

You have a few options depending on your goals :
    1)  allow the user 'mail' to read /etc/shadow
    2)  maintain a copy which user 'mail' can read
    3)  use a different pam method for authentication

You can't assign IP address to the loopback adapter,
because it is a reserved address for loopback devices
(Microsoft Windows XP - P R O F E S S I O N A L)