Re: exim with login authentication using pam

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 14:55, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:21:59PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I am trying to get exim authenticate users before relaying and would
> | like to use PAM.
>
> Do you use shadow passwords?

Yes.

> Are you trying to use pam_unix.so (specified in /etc/pam.d/exim)?

I copied the imap over (courier-imap which works fine)

> | Can anyone who has done this before shed some light on this.
>
> Only root can read the password hash stored in /etc/shadow.  exim
> can't.  (exim performs the check as EXIM_USER, often named "mail")
>

> You have a few options depending on your goals :
>     1)  allow the user 'mail' to read /etc/shadow

How risky is this ? Also, what would be the best way to do this ?

>     2)  maintain a copy which user 'mail' can read

Yeah, but this would kind of defeat the purpose since I wanted a
centralised place for usernames and passwords so I wont have to change
things all over the place each time a user is added / deleted.

>     3)  use a different pam method for authentication

This is what I do now. I just copied the shadow file, removed all the
irrelevant entries like root and used the standard authentication method
that came with exim.

Thanks for your response dman,

Regards,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com