Re: Bash autocompletion

Paul Johnson, Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 03:28:50AM -0700:

> That's not what's causing it.  Bash does not care what the extention
> is, or even if it has one or twenty extentions.  My guess is you're
> also getting a bell when you hit tab.  This is bash's way of telling
> you to type a character or two and hit tab again to finish
> autocompletion.

I think the problem is undesired side effects caused by
/etc/bash_completion.  Without using bash_completion, bash certainly
doesn't care what the extension of a filename is, as it only completes
command names, ~user, and paths.  With bash_completion, bash looks at the
command, and creates a completion function specific to that command.

:!501:?0:user@host:~$ grep xmms /etc/bash_completion
complete -f -X '!*.@(mp3|MP3|ogg|OGG|pls|m3u)' xmms gqmpeg freeamp

Adding mp2 to the list of extensions above would probably solve the
problem.