Re: Bash autocompletion

On Thursday 17 April 2003 14:03, Angus D Madden wrote:

> I think the problem is undesired side effects caused by
> /etc/bash_completion.  Without using bash_completion, bash certainly
> doesn't care what the extension of a filename is, as it only completes
> command names, ~user, and paths.  With bash_completion, bash looks at the
> command, and creates a completion function specific to that command.
>
> :!501:?0:user@host:~$ grep xmms /etc/bash_completion
>
> complete -f -X '!*.@(mp3|MP3|ogg|OGG|pls|m3u)' xmms gqmpeg freeamp
>
> Adding mp2 to the list of extensions above would probably solve the
> problem.

Thanx, Angus

I'm aware of this technique.
Yet, my mp2-example was just one of several cases, where I'd wish to
be able to temporarily disable the completion check.

E.G., due to some legacy backup-system, I have a collection of tar-files
which have a completely unusual extension (kind of timestammp) - and bash
refuses to complete on these filenames.

- Michael