Re: Dependancies of junk in /usr/local/

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:28:20PM -0300, Mark J. Small wrote:

| Hi everybody,
|
| I've got a couple of useful programs installed in /usr/local/ on my
| Woody system, and they depend on some junk in oldlibs to run.  For
| example, Wordperfect 8 needs xlib6 and xpm4.7.  Is there any way to
| tell apt/dpkg that I have things that depend on these, so that I'll get
| a warning if I try to uninstall them?  I always have to be very careful
| while I'm using orphaner not to break my local stuff.

Use the 'equivs' package to create an empty package that depends on
the stuff you want to record a dependency on.

| I looked at virtual packages, but it seems that they are for groups of
| similar things. (eg apache/boa/thttpd are all web servers).

That's correct.

| I'm not subbed to this list, so please cc me directly.

In that you should set the Mail-Followup-To: header to include you.

-D

--
Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/