Re: Newbie problems

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 15:46, ajitabhpandey@softhome.net wrote:
> Shri Shrikumar writes:

> > If you are booting using the CD, you should be logged in automatically
>
> No I have installed knoppix on the harddisk using the hdinstall script, so
> it is as good as Debian unstable. Only I am not able to figure out how root
> has been blocked to use the console (text) while on kdm it is logging in
> perfectly.

Having never done that before, all I can suggest is you try what others
have suggesting in checking /etc/securetty

My one has amongst others, the following entries

console

# standard consoles
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6
tty7
tty8
tty9
tty10
tty11
tty12

Also, try logging on as a regular user and check if su works.

> >> (2.) Even after I log in as a user from console, the keyboard is not
> >> behaving in the manner it should. When I press / I get a - on the screen,
> >> when I press - I get some junk character.
> >> I have checked the /etc/profile, the LANG variable was de_DE and I changed
> >> it to en_US, still the same problem. Please suggest.
>
> > Before you boot, press F2. There is an option there to change the
>
> This is again valid if i work from cd, there is no option like this for
> lilo.

Yes, there is. I havent used lilo in a while but there will be an option
in there that says something like

append="lang=de"

which sets the keyboard to a german one. Just take that out, rerun lilo
and you should be all set.

> >> (3.)When I try to install evolution I get the following error:
>
> > Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to remove all the unnecessary sources lines.
> > Just leave the unstable one in. AFAIK, Evolution is installed by
> > default.
> No Evolution doesn't come as a part of Knoppix 3.1 or earlier at least. I
> has checked even after booting from CD.

In that case, you will have to modify /etc/apt/sources.list to specify
just one or two sources, If you want unstable, just trim it down to the
lines for unstable. Then run

dselect update

Then try installing evolution

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com