RE: xcdroast coasters

| Pigeon wrote:
| > On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:42:43PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
| >
| >>This is the best I've been able to get out of Xcdroast now for a year.
| >>I have a RICOH 7040A CD-RW.
| >

| > Someone posted a similar problem a few months ago... (searches) oh, it
| > was you! (26 Jan, "CD-ROM") I still think it's a case of CORDS (Crappy
| > Old Ricoh Drive Syndrome) - thought you were going to replace it?
| >

| Considering the errors I am having happen in even "dummy" mode, I'm not
| entirely certain that I need to dump $100 into another CD burner.
|  I'm likely
| to have an even faster coaster-maker.

Greetings,
	I had a similar problem with my old Memorex CDRW.  I took a look at the
software aspect, since I could burn in windows just fine.  I read somewhere
in the .deb docs that the way that cdrecord was packaged for debian did
things a little different than the original author intended.  The authors
readme mentioned recompiling it for your system to get everything kosher.  I
tried recompiling from the debian source, but I got an identical build to
the .deb (huh, who'd have thunk that?).  IIRC, I started from scratch and
repackaged it myself with the intent that it needed to be recompiled on the
source machine.  Then things started to work better.  The packages are
available at http://aardvark.rides.com/debian/.

I've tried to make it apt friendly (no my usual skill) with these...

deb http://aardvark.rides.com/debian binary/
deb-src http://aardvark.rides.com/debian source/

Thy either the binary or compiling the source, it may help.  I recommend
demo mode, no sense wasting a coaster on my crap packaging.

HTH,

Brooks