Re: 2.4.20 kernel and RTL8139

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Clive Menzies wrote:

> I've lost track of your original post but as I understand it you already
> have a dhcp server on your network and the problen is one machine with a
> Realtek card not accessing the dhcp server.

 Yes. More specifically, I have a broadband connection at home via cable
modem. The provider is the one with the dhcp server, and my home pc is
the one with the 8139 card, with XP and Debian using the 2.2 kernel
connecting fine, but 2.4.20 timing out. Maybe this will clarify it a
bit.

> This PC needs to be running
> dhclient or pump to automatically obtain an IP address OR you can assign
> an unused IP address to it manually.

 As I'm not running the dhcp server, I can't assign an IP address
manually. I could try and connect to my old pc with a fixed IP, to see
whether it's the driver or the dhclient acting up.

--
Alex Borghgraef