Re: [LONG] RH refugee comments & questions

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:41:06PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Monte Milanuk (milanuk@nwinternet.com) [030415 16:23]:
> > This is one of those things that I'm interested in myself.  In something
> > like SuSE or RedHat, I'd just go in and issue a command of something
> > like /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfsserver restart to shut down and restart the
> > server w/ new config file.   SuSE had a handy shortcut where a body
> > could just type 'rcnfsserver restart' w/o having to type out the full
> > path or cd to that directory and do the same thing.  What would be the
> > equivalent in Debian (of the full path command)?
>
> So say this:
>
> rc=/etc/init.d
>
> and then you can use
>
> $rc/nfsserver restart
>
> if '/etc/init.d' is too much typing for you.

The truly lazy and insane could even put /etc/init.d in $PATH and
make sure scripts in that dir are set u+x.

Personally I think it's a terrible idea :-)

              Ozymandias

  I met a traveler from an antique land
  Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
  Stand in the desert.  Near them, on the sand,
  Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
  And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
  Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
  Which yet survive (stamped on these lifeless things),
  The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;
  And on the pedestal these words appear:
  'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
  Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
  Nothing beside remains.  Round the decay
  Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
  The lone and level sands stretch far away."

          -- Percy Bysshe Shelley