Re: Connecting remotely to my home computer

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:46:40PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> I read the FAQ and had little trouble setting it up to work with SSH.
> But how would I set it up under inetd and restrict it to localhost
> connections?

Add the following entry (or one like it) to /etc/inetd.conf[1]:
   vnc     stream  tcp     nowait  nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd \
      /usr/bin/X11/Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once \
      -geometry 1024x480 -depth 24

Add the following entry to /etc/services:
   vnc 5901/tcp #vnc server

Add the following to your /etc/hosts.allow:
   Xvnc: LOCAL

Add the following to your /etc/hosts.deny[2]:
   ALL: ALL

Additionally, you'll need to get your *DM login manager to service
requests.  This varies greatly from one *DM to another.

[1]:this entry should be one line just unwrap the line and remove the
\'s

[2]:this entry will shut down all incoming connections that check
access control files.  This may cause problems with desired incoming
connections.  Please see "man hosts.deny" and "man hosts.allow" for
further information.

--
Jamin W. Collins