Re: [LONG] RH refugee comments & questions

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:46:56PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:00:49PM +0200, Patrice Fortier wrote:
>
> If I understand correctly (having never used Red Hat much and knowing
> vary little about chkconfig beyond assuming that it's the part of the
> boot sequence that always stops and makes me wait while it checks for
> hardware changes[1]), you want update-rc.d to include a database of
> default S/K values for all services.  No thanks; I'd rather not have
> to install a new sysvinit package every time a new service gets
> packaged.

No, kudzu is the service that looks for new hardware if I recall.  WRT
chkconfig, there is no need for the utility to maintain a database,
script provide them to it.  For instance:

#!/bin/sh
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# firewall     Configures Linux firewall using iptables
#
#
# chkconfig: 345 09 92

the chkconfig line above indicates to chkconfig that this script is
intended to be run in runlevels 3, 4, and 5 and to start (S) it at 09
(S09) and kill it (K) at 92 (K92) for these run levels.

--
Jamin W. Collins