Re: Networking - dhcp-client

Hi Alan

Rather than obtaining IP addresses from your ISP it would be preferable to front your system with a router (with integral firewall). If you haven't got a PC to create one with, a dedicated router might be the answer.

We've use the Vigor 2600 ADSLModem/router which works out of the box (just need to configure through a browser window) There is a 2200 model which is just the router. You then assign private IP address inside your network but to the outside world you have one static IP address.

You can then hang as many PC's off the back of the router by adding extra switches - we've got a 4 port router plus an 8 port Netgear FS108 switch which gives us a max capacity of 10 devices (PC's) - 2 ports are used to join the router to the switch.

HTH

Clive