fontconfig, no fonts found, startx

Hi List

I am in unstable woody.

I installed gnome-core, xserver-xfree86, etc.

When I do startx on my 2nd pc I get:
~/.xsession-errors:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/familypc:/tmp/.ICE-unix/660
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

this is very strange, as I got gnome 2.2 perfectly running on my Mac and on another PC.

I done apt-get --reinstall install libfontconfig1 fontconfig

I also done fc-cache.

But nothing helped.

Thanks for any help an hints.

Zeno