Networking - dhcp-client

I have two PCs. One (avocet) is dual boot with win98 and Mandrake 9.0 and the
other (teal) is dual boot with win95 and debian potato. I have set-up a
server / router / firewall running Smoothwall which is connected to the
outside world via cable and a 9 port hub for the home network. In windows
mode the network works fine but in linux mode only avocet is configured. I
can reach the outside world and ping smoothwall (and use the remote web
interface) no probs. Now the problem:

I installed dhchcd on teal but had no luck in obtaining a network connection.
I then learnt about etherconf and went about downloading all of the files
(using the windows side and transferring off line) and used dpkg to load all
the files needed. This involved having to remove dhcpcd an install
dhcp-client which is the utility used by etherconf. Etherconf runs fine and
appears set set everything up after a few simple questions. However, the
truth is dhclient times out after 60 seconds and cannot negotiate a lease.

I have examined the /var/log/syslog with tail on teal in an attempt to
determine why I STILL can't get a network connection. The log says:

dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
dhclient-2.2.x: 5 bad IP checksums seen in 5 packets
dhclient-2.2.x: no DHCPOFFERS received.
dhclient-2.2.x: no working leases in persistent database
dhclient-2.2.x: Sleeping

If I run dhclient my smoohtwall server drive light flashes as do the lights on
the hub. There is clearly an attemp being made but on every occassion the
attempt ends after 60 seconds (the time out) to no avail.

There is a /etc/dhclient.conf which is a sample config file that is commented
out and it says that it is optional. I have tried editing this also (as well
as running blank) but it makes no difference.

Does anyone have any experience with this package / script. I previously tried
using the dchpcd but had to remove this to try out etherconf. I am beginning
to think that there is something fundamently wrong with my setup, but what I
don't know?

I am very impressed with debian and am desperate to give it a broadband
connection so that I can really start using it.

--
		Alan Lakin
	Wallington, Surrey, England