Re: Kernel 2.4.20 panic

Kevin McKinley wrote:
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:58:51 -0400
"Roberto Sanchez" <sanchezr@hotmail.com> wrote:

Then I have been misinformed. It seems that your approach is simpler. I will go and kindly flog the individual who provided me this info =-)

If you're building your own kernel making an initrd is a waste of time and
trouble, and if you don't use initrd, you do need to compile support into
the kernel.

You *do* have a choice, but for most people it's a no-brainer. :)

Kevin

Making an initrd takes a trivial amount of time[as long as it takes to add --initrd to the make-kpkg command]. Whenever I build a new kernel I have several steps that I go through, making the initrd isn't even a conscious step. Verifying and double checking that you have everything you need to boot compiled into the kernel is a waste of time and trouble. But that is just my opinion.