Re: Kernel 2.4.20 panic

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 03:41, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:58:51 -0400
> "Roberto Sanchez" <sanchezr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Then I have been misinformed.  It seems that your approach is simpler.  I
> > will go and kindly flog the individual who provided me this info =-)
>
> If you're building your own kernel making an initrd is a waste of time and
> trouble, and if you don't use initrd, you do need to compile support into
> the kernel.
>
> You *do* have a choice, but for most people it's a no-brainer. :)

The Debian no brainer is to use the provided kernel-image packages,
which work for 99% of the cases, and because they are modular initrd
kernels, all the extra stuff you don't need is not loaded. A custom
compiled kernel with only the "stuff you need" is not leaner or faster
any more. It only saves disk space in the /lib/modules directory, and
means you have to re-compile everything every time you realise you need
a new feature or module.

I see a lot of "you need to compile your own kernel" advise given to
newbies. This is like telling someone who is asking why their car
doesn't have a clutch peddle (ie, it's an auto), that they need to fit a
new gearbox, and while they are at it, put in a new carbie, a
turbo-charger, a bigger diff, and bore the engine out a little. Sure,
doing all that is fun, and you might be doing them a favor starting them
down the path of hotting up their car, but perhaps they just want to go
for a drive :-)

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/