Re: Mac 7200 (PPC) sees Promise controller.. BUT NO DRIVES

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 01:28, Jessica Blank wrote:
[...]
> Point is, why is the box going to runlevel 0 or 6 in the first place?
> Those are the only runlevels on my box where it runs the RTC scripts... :/

IIRC, the sysvinit stuff _used_ to go through every runlevel on the way
to the runlevel you want to change to. Originally the increasing
run-levels represented increasing levels of functionality, so you would
run up the runlevels, starting extra services as you went through each
run level. Shutdown went in reverse, stopping services as you went down
runlevels.

This meant the /etc/rcX.d/ scripts only had symlinks to start and stop
services missing from the previous (combined) runlevels. As run levels
got more complicated, You started seeing things like services that ran
in levels 1 and 3, but not 2, and I vaugely recall a time when startup
would do strange things like start a service for runlevel 1, stop it for
runlevel 2, then re-start it for level 3.

Enough history... according to the docs, it now only runs the rcS.d
start scripts and the the default runlevel scripts on startup. When
changing runlevels, it runs the kills scripts for the current runlevel,
then the start scripts for the target runlevel, with the added
optimisation of checking for common services between the current and
target runlevel to avoid killing/starting services that are in both.

So, either your RTC stuff is happening in rcS.d, or the doc's are wrong
and sysvinit still includes some historic "run through the runlevels"
behaviour.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/