Re: Mac 7200 (PPC) sees Promise controller.. BUT NO DRIVES

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 17:14, Jessica Blank wrote:
> > Well... okay. This is interesting.
> >
> > Ben, your kernel patches simply don't like my machine. Maybe I'm doing
> > something wrong, but I've configured around a billion trillion bajillion
> > kernels in my life (since age 15) and I see nothing missing.
> >
> > Plain old non-Ben-patched 2.4.20 kernels seem to boot fine on this thing.
> > However, your patched kernel seems to shunt itself immediately into
> > Runlevel 0 or Runlevel 6, since the last thing I see when I boot it up
> > (sorry, the messages scroll by so fast I can't catch them all, and no,
> > they DO NOT end up in /var/log/messages nor /var/log/syslog) is
> > "Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference..."
> > ... which is generated by hwclock.sh / hwclockfirst.sh, two startup
> > scripts (in /etc/init.d) which are only loaded by runlevels 0 and 6...
>
> Make sure you have CONFIG_PPC_RTC and _not_ CONFIG_RTC and let me
> know. If the kernel tries to access the legacy RTC chip on the ISA
> bus, it will hang.

Yeah, that's how I did it.

Actually, I was currently trying (just for grins and giggles) to compile
it with BOTH. (ctrl-Cs that one.. thanks for the warning).

Point is, why is the box going to runlevel 0 or 6 in the first place?
Those are the only runlevels on my box where it runs the RTC scripts... :/

I am currently trying my umpteenth 2.4.20-ben10 kernel compile, this time
with the workaround for 601 bugs (my box has a 601 processor) enabled.
However, I doubt that will fix it, since I didn't need to enable it for
plain old stock 2.4.20 to boot :/

Is there anything I can provide to you to help?

> > This is not making me happy. :(
> >
> > Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
> >
> > Again, for reference, this machine is a Mac 7200.
> >
> > Oh, and I even tried removing all the PCI cards, effectively returning the
> > Mac to "stock" condition (no IDE, just SCSI; no Tulip NIC, just the
> > built-in MESH)... no go. Same results!
> >
> > Any help?

> > > Actually, I can't see as the disk probing happens later during boot...

> > > Can you send me the complete dmesg log along with the version of the
> > > kernel you are using ?
> > >
> > > Ben.
> > >

> > J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k
> --