Re: Debian and Lucent Winmodems

* alex <radsky@ncia.net> [2003-04-12 10:18]:

> I understand that certain Lucent Winmodems can be run in Linux by
> supplying a special driver, making it a software driven modem.

Yes, Lucent winmodems are very well supported under Linux now.
Download from <http://www.heby.de/ltmodem>.
Read <http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/> for background info.
There's also <http://lindmodems.org>, but it's a bit out of
date. The mailing list is good there though.

> If a computer has both Windows 98 SE and Debian, can a single Winmodem
> serve both systems?

Yep, easily.

> If anyone out there uses a Winmodem that is shared by a Windows system
> and Debian (or other Linux flavor), could you please let me know of
> your experience with this setup?

Has worked very well for the past 4 years or so.