Re: Debian and Lucent Winmodems

I understand that certain Lucent Winmodems can be run in Linux by supplying a special driver, making it a software driven modem.

If a computer has both Windows 98 SE and Debian, can a single Winmodem serve both systems?

If anyone out there uses a Winmodem that is shared by a Windows system
and Debian (or other Linux flavor), could you please let me know of
your experience with this setup?

I have a Toshiba laptop that runs WinMe (yuck! and only when absoultely necessary) and Debian. The necessary drivers for the Lucent winmodem can be downloaded here http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/index.html

You can get drivers as either binary (if you use a stock kernel from a popular distro) or as a partial source distro that you can use to build loadable modules. Be sure that you read the details, as there is one variant of the Lucent chipset that they do not support.

These drivers work extremely well, are very easy to install and very reliable. I used them for many months to connect to the internet through the server at school (before I got DSL at home) and never had a problem with it.

Other than that, be sure and write a letter to Lucent/Agere Systems and request that they open the source or specifications for their drivers so that we can have a proper open source driver to use in Linux. If enough people do it, eventually they will see it is what the customers want.

-Roberto