Re: SOLVED! ... Onboard rtl8139 works in 2.2 kernel but not in 2.4 kernel, please help

Just thought I'd pass this along to hopefully save the hair of other poor
souls that buy this board ...

I've had this server on hold for a while for reasons other than the network
card, finally yesterday I started trying to get the network card going again.
Even offboard cards (tried tulip, 3com and rtl pci cards) would not work when
running the 2.4 kernel (mostly trying with 2.4.18-686 kernel).

I tried a lot of boot options since I figured it had something to do with some
of the fancy-schmancy new features being supported.  pci=noacpi,
acpi=oldboot, acpi=force, acpi=off, noapic.  Now I guess ACPI is different
than APIC, and both are different than APM.

noapic passed at boot time was the magic dust required.  I just did some quick
reading and APIC seems to be some IRQ routing protocol used to send
interrupts to different CPUs in an SMP machine.  My machine isn't SMP, it
supports hyperthreading but I only have a 2.4 P4 (not hyperthreaded).

Once I found the noapic option it became apparent that other people have
suffered from similar troubles but it was a heck of a hunt to find it.  I'll
be accompanied by a big bottle of wine tonight as I settle down in from of
the hockey game.

Anyway enough rambling ... good day.