Debian OS on my PC

I recently have taken an interest with Linux Operating System and fascinated with the system and have realised that open source and software based on Linux is the way to the future. Already the popularity of your OS is gaining in our place ie., Bangalore with several institutions and home PCs taking to Linux based systems.

Currently I have a Home PC currently working on MS Windows 95B and would like to install your OS side by side MS Windows 95 and would like to get accustomed to working with Debian to make it the default one.

My current PC configuration is slightly old and I would like your valuable suggestion as to which of your Debian version will be suitable for the same.  I have two Hard Disks. ie ., "C" drive is a 263.1 MB and "D"Drive is 514 MB. The detailed configuration of my Home PC is as follows :

Current OS : MS Windows 95B, Internet Explorer v 5.0 for browsing the Internet via internal modem (BOCAMODEM V32bis, 14.4kbps
 Standard VGA adapter card (VL BUS VGA)
Video Blaster FS 200 from Creative Labs designed to work with 800x600 VGA Display standard
Main Processor  UMC UM85C418F-GP
Note : 800 x 600 resolution, 256 colours, Vertical Resolution Falsh-VGA 60 Hz, and Max Horizontal Frequency for user monitor 38.5 KHz is setup & maintained by separate software of UMCVGA using MS Windows OS 3.1 or higher version

HW specifications of VB FS 200;
Input :- 2 female RCA jacks for 2 composite video signals( 75 ohms impedance), 1 S-Video connectr for S-Video input
Output :- VGA Monitor

  • Monitor - DX15F 15" colour display monitor with ultra-high resolution of upto 1280x1024(non-interlaced)
Features of monitor:

- Multi -scanning at horizontal frequuencies of 30 Khz to 64 KHz, vertical frequencies of 50 Hz to 100 Hz
- microprocessor -based design with edgital controls
- compatible with standard IBM VGA, extended VGA, Super VGA modes as well as VESA ergonomic standards
- compatible with IBM XGA
- Universal auto-switched power supply( 240 V)

I would be much obliged if you could offer suggestions as to which of your Debian Versions is best suitable for my PC taking into account the speed of computer. I should be able to use all my above devices as well. Based on your OS, if it is required to use other softwares from other vendors to run the above/any devices kindly indicate the same.

Kindly reply.