Re: Changing WM

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:53:45PM -0700, Itsik Aviad wrote:
> I'm using Debian Woody 3.0 R1 with Gnome1.4 and I have tried to set a
> different default window manager. For whatever reason Gnome becomes the
> default wm regardless of my choice.

Gnome is not a wm; so, regardles of your wm, Gnome would always be run.

> I have tried setting it up using the the 'Window Manager' option and
> update-alternatives --config x-window-manager with the same results.
> Can anyone point me at the right direction?

You can tell me what do you want first; eg: changing the appearance (?)
If you wanted to select either one of Sawfish, Metacity, Enlightenment,
or any other wm's, you could use that config command. That would mostly
change the appearance of your window frames (eg: title bar, resize bar).
If you wanted to change the look of the icons, you could select one of
the Gnome themes; it's in the Applications/Desktop Preferences/Theme.
BTW, wm's have selectable themes too.

Oki