Re: KDE 3.1.1 -- help!

> > Unfortunately, now nothing works. The startkde script, recommended by
> > kde.org for starting kde sessions, no longer exists. Worse, I don't see
> > any evidence that any kde binary exists: `ls /usr/bin | grep kde.*` shows
> > a variety of kde-related scripts, but the kde itself is missing. And
> > apt-get doesn't report any package named kde (in any version) to be
> > installed, though dselect shows 2.2.25 to be available but not installed.
> > And dselect screams its head off about conflicts any time I do anything.
>

> Try and run apt-get install kdebase kdm. This will install a minimal system
> that you can work with. Then run kdenetwork kdegraphic etc etc untill its how
> you want.

Ah. I tried this over and it worked. I don't know why it wasn't working
before, but I think it's a problem with dselect being confused over
dependencies. Anyway, doing it by hand with apt-get works fine, and
aptitude also works. Hooray!

Thanks, everyone.

Jesse S. Bangs jaspax@u.washington.edu
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"