Re: OOo Impress question

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Is anyone aware if it is possible in OpenOffice.org to save a presentation
> as self-executing (similar to saving a .pps file in M$ Orafice)?

Not authoritative, but that is not currently one of the supported
options.

> I ask because I have a professor that insists that I prepare a presentation
> for class using M$ Power Point (he claims that it is a de facto standard
> whether I like it or not).  He is not real open to the idea of any other
> presentation program, and of course the tech people at my school won't
> consider deploying OOo.

A common problem with the mundanes.

> I was thinking that if I could save it in a self executing format, then he
> wouldn't know the difference and I wouldn't have to worry about exporting
> (since the fonts don't always match up just right and all that).

I personally would prepare the presentation using OOo.  Then save it
out as .ppt powerpoint format.  Then it can be read by the MS software
with no trouble.  This is what I do at work and I have not had any
trouble.  You can test this yourself using MS-Powerpoint before doing
the final submission.  If you need to do any adaption such as for
fonts you can do it then.  But I have not had any font trouble going
that direction and I would not expect you to either.  You might want
the msttcorefonts installer to use the MS fonts.  (I don't know of any
free fonts.  Any suggestions from the net?)

Usually font trouble is someone using a custom font in their MS slide
template and therefore bullets don't show up with going the other
direction, from MS to OOo.  But OOo to MS has been fine for me.  YMMV.

Bob