boot error: can not open root device "341" or 03:41

Hello:

I run debian testing on a PC, dual boot with win95, each on a separate
drive.  Recently i had a few disk errors which were fixed with fdsk.
After a reboot i get the following error during the boot process:

Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM VFS: Cannot open root device
"341 or 03:41 Please append a correct "root=" boot option kernel panic:
UFS: unable to mount root FS on 03:41

If i boot from the debian cd using the rescue option I do not get the
error.  If I put root=/dev/hdb1 at the lilo prompt then I get a similar
error with hdb1 in the place of 341.  I reinstalled the kernel image
binary (kernel-image-2.4-686 2.4.20-7) and lilo.  After a reboot i get
the same error.  Is there something else i should reinstall to solve
this problem?

Thanks for the help

Douglas Johannessen